West Coast Rail 250 campaigns for the following objectives:
- Increased capacity for passenger and freight services
- Faster and more frequent long distance services
- Improved links between local and regional centres and moves to seamless interchange with the national network
- Improved passenger facilities on new or refurbished trains and stations
- Better public transport interchange and cycle/walking station accessibility to create seamless journeys
- Improved local and national economic development from rail investment.
West Coast Rail 250’s activities include:
- Direct liaison with the train companies, Network Rail and the Department for Transport;
- Lobbying for improvements to services and infrastructure;
- Lobbying MPs through the All Party Parliamentary Group;
- Commissioning studies to support the economic case for rail investment;
- Membership of Scottish Parliamentary Cross Party Group on Rail;
- Responses to franchise consultations and direct meetings with franchise bidders;
- Input to the Government’s Transport Select Committee proceedings, and responses to other consultations which are relevant to the West Coast Main Line;
- General Council meetings three times per year for all WCR250 members, with industry presentations and discussions on key topics;
- General monitoring of rail industry developments and trends.
In all its work, West Coast Rail 250’s role is to provide its members with:
- Access to rail industry decision makers;
- A plain English interpretation of rail industry jargon and procedures;
- Support on specific issues affecting members’ areas.